The City of LaGrange Animal Control Division has revised its Pit Bull Ordinance so that the LaGrange-Troup County Animal Shelter is allowed to adopt out Pit Bull breeds. The adoption process is a bit different from those of our other adoptions. Our volunteers work in coordination with the Animal Control officers to assess which Pit Bulls are eligible for adoption. They must pass a health screening and behavioral assessment tests before becoming available for adoption.
Pit Bull breeds can be awesome family pets, but like every pet they must be properly paired with the right person/family and trained. If you are interested in adopting a bully breed, please educate yourself about the breed law. Regardless of what pet you meet in our shelter, we encourage you to learn everything you can about the breed to make sure it’s a good match. Also be sure to consult a reputable trainer and veterinarian.
We are here to answer any questions you may have, and help you get started on your research. For the full City of LaGrange ordinance, please click here.
Here is a list of things you may need to know if you are considering adopting a Pit Bull breed and live in the city limits of LaGrange:
1. You must have $50,000 of liability insurance per dog and provide a copy of the insurance policy to Animal Control.
2. You must have an enclosure that is at least 6-feet high and be approved by Animal Control.
3. If you are walking the dog outside of the enclosure, the dog must be leashed and muzzled.
4. The dog must be spayed/neutered in conjunction with the adoption.
5. The dog must be current on vaccinations. (This is also done in conjunction to adoption if adopted from the City of LaGrange Animal Shelter.)
6. The dog must be brought to the City of LaGrange Animal Shelter to have a picture taken and to be registered with Animal Control. There is a $10 fee for this. This will be done during the adoption process if the dog has been adopted from the shelter. If not adopted from the shelter, the dog still must come to the animal shelter for a picture to be taken to complete the registration process.